Geneva Live Captions: Enhancing Real-Time Communication and Accessibility
Table of Contents
What is CART?
CART stands for Communication Access Realtime Translation. Also called realtime captioning, this system is used to convert live speech into text instantly. Captions are presented on full screen or merged with video images, presentations, or websites.
CART captioning services can be accessed using various devices such as mobile devices, tablets, laptops, television monitors, or large screens. A caption writer can be present on-site or provide remote services, catering to different needs and settings.
Benefits of Using Remote Captioners
Remote captioners offer a convenient and easy solution as they require only an Internet connection, an audio connection, a microphone (for larger meetings), and a computer. No proprietary equipment is necessary, and audio connections can be established through various options like conference calls, in-house wired microphones, or streaming video-audio.
Writers demonstrate a baseline typing speed of 225 words per minute and hold certifications from the National Court Reporters Association (NCRA). All writers adhere to industry standards and sign confidentiality agreements to ensure data privacy and security.
Use Cases for CART
CART can be used in a variety of settings, including:
- Conferences and meetings
- Webinars and online courses
- Legal proceedings
- Medical appointments
- Religious services
- Social events
Differentiating Captioning Types
Can be turned on and off
Easily edited and captions can be changed
Used on TVs, DVDs, Facebook, YouTube, etc.
Always visible as they are “burnt” onto the video
Embedded into the video, and users cannot disable captions
Ideal for live events and situations where immediate caption access is required
Translates spoken language into a written target language displayed on the screen
Often used for multilingual audiences or content localization
Similar equipment and software as caption writers
Focus on capturing a full and complete record for legal purposes
Primarily work in courts of law or deposition rooms
How Does CART Work?
CART providers use a stenotype machine and specialized software to transcribe spoken language into text in real time. The captions are displayed on a screen, allowing individuals with hearing loss to read and understand the conversation as it happens.
CART Transcription Services
CART transcription is a type of transcription that converts spoken language into text. CART transcription services can be used in a variety of settings to provide accurate and timely transcriptions of audio and video recordings, including:
- Legal Proceedings: CART transcription is often used in legal proceedings to provide a verbatim record of what is said in court. This can be helpful for both parties involved in the case, as well as for anyone else who needs to refer to the transcript later on.
- Interviews: CART transcription can be used to transcribe interviews for a variety of purposes, such as research, journalism, or marketing. This can ensure the interview is accurately recorded and the information is presented in a clear and concise way.
- Research Projects: CART transcription can be used to transcribe audio or video recordings of research interviews or focus groups. This can help researchers analyze the data more easily and identify trends and patterns in the data.
Features of CART transcription include:
- Timestamping: CART transcriptions are typically time-stamped, which means that each word or phrase is assigned a timestamp. This can be helpful for identifying specific points in the transcript, such as when a question was asked or when an answer was given.
- Verbatim or Edited Options: CART transcriptions can be created in either verbatim or edited format. Verbatim transcriptions are a word-for-word record of what is said, while edited transcriptions may include some editing for clarity or grammar.
- Custom Formatting: CART transcriptions can be formatted to meet the specific needs of the client. For example, the font size, font color, and line spacing can all be customized.
Why Choose Our CART Services?
Real-time captioning promotes inclusivity and reduces strain for deaf or hard-of-hearing individuals. It also helps individuals who may have difficulties understanding fast speech, accents, mumbling, or background noise. Additionally, CART captioning services offer clarity when names, brand names, or technical terminology is mentioned. It supports concentration and enhances the experience for individuals with diverse learning abilities and attention differences. Furthermore, videos with captions show higher user engagement and an improved user experience.
Learn more about our commitment to customer satisfaction by checking out the testimonials below:
Industries We Serve
Our certified captioners and transcribers are experts in providing accurate and timely CART services in a variety of industries, including:
- Legal: We provide CART services for a variety of legal proceedings, including depositions, trials, and hearings. We have a deep understanding of statutes and regulations, which we apply to every project.
- Medical: We provide CART services for doctor’s offices, hospitals, and clinics. We’re well-versed in medical terminology, and we are committed to providing our clients with the information they need to make informed decisions about their health.
- Financial: We can serve banks, investment firms, and accounting firms. Our providers are familiar with financial terms, so they can always provide accurate captions and transcriptions rapidly.
- Technical: We provide CART services for a variety of technical settings, including engineering firms, software companies, and manufacturing plants.
- Government: Our CART services are used by a variety of government agencies and courts. These entities can count on us to ensure compliance during both public and private proceedings.
Submit your request
I'm looking for...
Frequently Asked Questions
CART stands for Communication Access Realtime Translation. It is a service that provides real-time transcription of spoken language into text, allowing deaf or hard-of-hearing individuals to understand and participate in conversations and events.
CART offers numerous benefits, including improved communication and access, compliance with accessibility regulations, increased engagement and participation, the ability to ask questions and contribute, and an overall inclusive environment.
The cost of CART services can vary depending on factors such as the length of the event, the number of participants, and the location. However, CART is typically an affordable option that can greatly enhance an event’s accessibility and success.
Yes, CART services can be used on online platforms and virtual meetings. Remote CART allows individuals to access real-time transcription remotely, providing accessibility and inclusion in virtual environments.
Yes, CART can be used for live streaming. The streaming event can be captioned in real time, enabling deaf and hard of hearing viewers to participate and understand the content being streamed.
Yes, CART transcription services can be used for post-event transcriptions. In addition to real-time captions, CART providers can also create offline captions by transcribing recorded content after the event. These transcriptions can be used for later reference or distribution.
Real-time captioning offers significant benefits for non-native English speakers. Here’s how:
- Enhanced Comprehension: By reading the captions in real-time, non-native English speakers can follow the conversation more effectively.
- Language Accuracy: Captions display an accurate transcription of the spoken language, including proper grammar and vocabulary usage. This can be particularly helpful for non-native English speakers who may encounter challenges deciphering fast speech, colloquialisms, or accents. Captions act as a visual aid that ensures accurate language interpretation.
- Vocabulary Acquisition: Real-time captioning offers an opportunity for non-native English speakers to expand vocabulary and improve language skills. By reading the captions alongside the spoken words, individuals can parse vocabulary words, phrases, and expressions in context.
- Cultural Understanding: Captions convey spoken words and capture important non-verbal cues, such as tone, emotions, and gestures. This helps non-native English speakers gain a deeper understanding of cultural context and nuances that may otherwise be challenging to grasp solely through auditory input.
- Inclusive Communication: By providing real-time captions, businesses, educational institutions, and event organizers ensure that non-native English speakers can fully participate and engage in meetings, conferences, presentations, and other interactive sessions. Real-time captioning promotes inclusivity, enabling everyone to have equal access to information and contribute to discussions.
- Improved User Experience: Research has shown that videos with captions have higher user engagement and offer a better overall user experience. By incorporating real-time captions, organizations can cater to a diverse audience, including non-native English speakers, and deliver content in a more accessible and engaging manner.
Clients can submit service requests via email or the scheduling portal. It is recommended to provide event information, technical requirements, and preparatory materials well in advance to ensure a smooth and successful captioning experience. Remote CART services may require a test call to ensure sound quality.
Geneva Live Captions revolutionizes real-time communication and accessibility through its high-quality, accurate, and flexible captioning services. By embracing real-time captioning, organizations and individuals can create inclusive environments, improve comprehension, and enhance the overall communication experience.